Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Mash-topped beef & Guinness pie
main courses | serves 4
1. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat and add the vegetables and herbs. Toss everything in oil to coat, season and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veg is softening. Transfer to a plate.
2. Toss the beef in the flour and season, then brown in the dish, in batches if necessary. Deglaze the pan with the Guinness. Add the veg and herbs. Top up with water if needed, to just cover the meat and veg. Stir in the brown sugar.
3. Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
4. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes, then mash with the milk, butter and a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Put the meat in an ovenproof dish, top with mash, drizzle with olive oil, then bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisping up.
Recipe Kate McCullough
Photo Carolyn Barber
from Issue 23
ingredients 2 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves and a small bunch of thyme tied with kitchen string
500g stewing beef, 2.5cm dice
3 tbsp flour
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter