Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Mixed nut & honey baklava
dessert recipes | makes 24 pieces
This classic bake is a heady combination of nuts, honey, citrus and spices, sandwiched between crispy filo layers.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Place all the syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan with 300ml of water and bring to a gentle simmer. Let it bubble away, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by a third. Leave to cool. (The syrup must be cool when it is poured over the pastry otherwise the pastry will go soggy.)
2. Blitz the nuts in a food processor until coarse, then tip into a bowl and stir through the cinnamon and cloves.
3. Lightly grease a 40 x 25cm shallow tin with the melted butter (using a pastry brush if you have one). Gently unfold the filo and cover with a damp tea towel to stop it cracking.
4. Layer sheets of filo in the tin and brush each layer with melted butter. After 4 layers, scatter over half the nut mixture; repeat with 4 layers of filo, then the rest of the nuts. Top with the last 4 layers of filo, then generously butter the top. Cut into diamonds with a sharp knife ? ensure the blade goes right to the bottom.
5. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven on a hot baking sheet for 30?35 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp, reducing the temperature to 170C/gas 3 if the baklava looks as though it is browning too quickly.
6. Remove the baklava from the oven and spoon half the cooled syrup over the top. Leave for 5 minutes, then spoon over the remaining syrup. Allow the baklava to cool before removing the individual pieces from the dish with a palette knife.
Recipe Joss Herd
Photo Anders Schønnemann
from Issue 42
ingredients? 100g each of walnuts, almonds and pistachios
? 2 tsp ground cinnamon
? ½ tsp ground cloves
? 200g butter, melted
? 2 x 270g packs (12 sheets) filo pastry
? 300g sugar
? 100ml Greek honey
? 1 cinnamon stick
? 2 strips of orange zest
? 2 tsp orange flower water