Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Mushroom & Tunworth cheese pies
main courses | makes 6 mini cheese pies
Soft, nutty, camembert-like Tunworth is a real winner. Its gorgeous truffle flavour goes perfectly with the mushroom in these tasty little pies.
1. To make the filling, heat a glug of oil in a large pan and fry the garlic, thyme and butter over a medium heat until lightly golden. Add the onions, turn down the heat and sauté for 10 minutes.
2. Once the onions are soft and sticky, but not coloured, add the mushrooms, turn up the heat and fry hard and fast for 5 minutes. Chop half of the soaked porcini, add to the pan and fry for a few more minutes. Now add 350ml of the stock and the potatoes and season well. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Using a stick blender, blitz the mushrooms just a little ? you want them to still be fairly chunky. Stir in about half of the parsley leaves and divide the filling between 6 small pie dishes, reserving 4 heaped tablespoons for later. Chop the Tunsworth into 1?2cm pieces and scatter evenly into each of the pie dishes. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
4. To make the lids, flour a work surface, and roll out the pastry to roughly the thickness of a pound coin. Cut into 6 pieces the shape of your pie dishes and lay one over the top of each, tucking the edges down slightly. Carefully score each pie lid with a crisscross, then gently press your thumb in the middle of each one to make a well (without puncturing the pastry). Brush the pies with the beaten egg, and place in the oven for 15?20 minutes, or until puffed up and beautifully golden.
5. Now to make the sauce. In a pan, stir the mustard and Worcestershire sauce into the remaining filling. Pour in the leftover porcini liquid, then roughly chop the remaining porcini and add to the mix. Place the pan over a high heat, pour in the remaining stock and bring everything to the boil. Stir in the rest of the parsley a minute or two before the end, then blitz in a liquidiser until smooth and pour into a jug. To serve, pour the gravy into the wells of the pies, and serve with a dollop of English mustard.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 33
ingredients? Olive oil
? 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
? Half a bunch of thyme, leaves picked
? A large knob of butter
? 2 onions, finely sliced
? 1kg fresh mixed mushrooms
? A good handful of porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water, liquid reserved
? 500ml vegetable stock
? 300g maris piper potatoes, diced
? A small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
? 120g Tunworth cheese
? 500g all-butter puff pastry
? 1 large egg, beaten
? 2 heaped tsp English mustard, plus extra to serve
? 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce