Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Nasi Lemak with fried chicken wings
main courses | serves 4
This coconut rice dish is popular for breakfast in Malaysia, traditionally served with accompaniments. The chicken wings are rather indulgent but a seriously tasty treat.
1. In a bowl, combine 80ml of the coconut milk with the turmeric and chilli flakes. Add the chicken wings and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
2. For the rice, pour the rest of the coconut milk into a large saucepan along with 100ml of water, and stir in the shallots, pandan leaves and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil over
a medium heat, stirring often.
3. Stir in the rice, then pop on the lid. Simmer over a low heat for 810 minutes, or until all the coconut milk has been absorbed. Take it off the heat, cover with a tea towel, replace the lid and leave for 10 minutes.
4. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and toast the peanuts for a few minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
5. Add the ikan bilis to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes, then transfer to another serving bowl.
6. To prepare the chicken wings, scatter the flour on a plate, season, then roll the chicken in it to coat.
7. Heat enough oil in a large pan to deep fry, until the cube of bread dropped in, turns brown in 10 seconds. Fry the chicken in batches, until golden, about 10 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper, then serve with the rice and accompaniments.
Note Ikan bilis are dried anchovies. Packed with flavour, they should be cooked before eating. Buy them online at theasiancookshop.co.uk
Per serving 1133 cals, 9.1g sugars, 55.6g fat (11.1g saturated), 48.9g protein, 112.4g carbs
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
ingredients 480ml coconut milk
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp chilli flakes
8 chicken wings
320g long grain or jasmine rice, washed and drained
2 shallots, sliced
2 pandan leaves, tied into knots
200g plain flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
A cube of bread, to test the oil
80g peanuts, skin on
2 tbsp ikan bilis (see note)
4 hard boiled eggs, quartered
½ cucumber, thinly sliced
2 tbsp sambal
2 limes, halved, to serve