Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
main courses | serves 8
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Season the flour with salt and pepper, then use to dredge the oxtail till well coated. Shake off excess flour and set the meat aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large shallow frying pan over low-medium heat and gently cook the shallots and garlic until fragrant but not coloured. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish and set aside.
3. Heat 2?3 tablespoons more oil to the same pan on a medium-high heat and brown the oxtail, in batches if necessary, until well browned all over. Pack the oxtail over the shallots and garlic then add the cloves, ginger, nutmeg and orange and cover with 2?3cm of water.
4. Place in the oven and after 15 minutes reduce to the temperature to 140C/gas 1 then gently simmer for around 2½ hours (depending on how big the bones are) or until the meat is just tender. Check the liquid level from time to time, adding more water if necessary. Taste and season then add the dates and vinegar. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes or until the dates are plump and the meat is tender but not yet falling off the bones.
5. Meanwhile, blanch the kale in salted boiling water for 3?4 minutes then drain well. Fry the bacon with the garlic till cooked, turn off the heat and stir in the chilli. Add the kale and stir to combine.
6. Remove the oxtail from the oven and skim any excess fat from the surface. Serve the oxtail pieces with a few dates, some of the juices and the braised kale.
Per serving 721 cals, 45.3g fat (15.6g saturated), 66.5g protein, 10.6g carbs, 3.4g sugars
Recipe Sue Fairlie-Cuninghame
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 16
ingredients? 50g plain flour
? 2.5kg trimmed oxtail, cut into rounds
? Olive oil
? 500g shallots, peeled and finely diced
? 3 garlic cloves, sliced
? 1 tsp ground cloves
? 5?7.5cm piece of ginger, grated
? A pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
? Peel of 1 large orange, or 2?3 strips of dried orange peel
? 1 punnet of dates (soft, such as medjool, or semi-dried work best), stoned
? Balsamic or sherry vinegar, to taste
? 1 large bunch of kale
? 3 thick slices of streaky bacon, diced
? 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
? 1 chilli (or to taste), finely chopped