Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Plum yeasty bread
dessert recipes | serves 8
A sweet, brioche-style bread with a spiced topping, ideal for a leisurely brunch or afternoon tea. We used green plums but red will work too
1. Gently heat 3 tablespoons of milk in a saucepan until lukewarm. Pour into a cup and add the yeast, a pinch of sugar and a pinch of flour. Set aside to prove.
2. Combine the flour, salt and both sugars in a bowl. When the yeast bubbles up, add to the flour mixture and work in the eggs, milk, butter and lemon zest. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel and put in a warm place to double in size – about 45 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6. Butter and lightly flour a baking tray. Dip your hands in water then press the dough into the sheet, to about 3cm high. Cover with the plums (cut-side down) and dust with caster sugar and spices. Leave to rise for 30 minutes, then bake for 40 minutes, or until golden. Dust with vanilla sugar while warm.
Per serving Per serving 395 cals, 10.8g fat (5.9g saturated), 8.9g protein, 65.3g carbs, 26.1g sugar
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 13
ingredients• 150ml milk, plus an extra 3 tbsp
• 20g fresh yeast
• 60g caster sugar
• 450g plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
• 2 eggs
• 80g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 825g greengages, stoned, halved and tossed in 2 tbsp caster sugar
• 3 tbsp caster sugar
• Small pinch each of ground cloves and cinnamon
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• 2 tsp vanilla sugar