Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Pork, spring green & black bean stir-fry
main courses | serves 4
Black bean stir-fries don’t have to be swimming in gloopy sauce from a jar. Track down a pack of fermented black beans from an oriental food shop and a deeply savoury Chinese dish can be yours.
1. At least 30 minutes before cooking, or even the day before, mix together the shaoxing wine or sherry, soy sauce, sugar and cornflour in a bowl, add the pork and toss to coat. Cover and set aside (in the fridge if you’re marinating the meat for more than 30 minutes).
2. Heat the oil in a wok until smoking hot. Drain the pork strips (reserve the marinade) and add to the wok. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then stir in the garlic, chilli and ginger and continue cooking for 1 more minute.
3. Throw in the greens, spring onions and black beans along with the reserved marinade, and continue to stir-fry over a very high heat for
a few minutes, until the vegetables just begin to soften. Add a splash of water if it starts to stick.
4. Serve your stir-fry on a bed of steamed or sticky rice, with an extra splash of soy sauce, if you like.
Drink 2013 Viñas del Vero Gewürztraminer, Somontano, £9.99, Majestic
Per serving: 245 cals, 11.3g fat (2.8g saturated), 25.3g protein, 10.5g carbs, 5.7g sugars
Recipe Alice Hart
Photo Laura Edwards
from Issue 47
ingredients• 2 tbsp shaoxing wine or dry sherry
• 1 tbsp light soy sauce, plus extra to serve
• 1 tsp caster sugar
• 2 tsp cornflour
• 4 x 100g pork shoulder steaks, trimmed and finely sliced
• 2 tbsp groundnut oil
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 bird’s-eye chilli, chopped (deseeded, if preferred)
• A thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 400g spring green vegetables, such as asparagus, tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli, mange tout, sugar snap peas, trimmed and chopped into 4cm lengths
• 5 spring onions, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed and drained
• Sticky rice or steamed basmati rice, to serve