Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Quiche lorraine with carrot & parsley salad
main courses | serves 10–12
It’s rich, and you shouldn’t eat it every day, and the mere mention of this culinary classic divides people. We think there’s nothing better than a slice of warm quiche lorraine, with a chilled glass of Alsace white wine.
1. For the pastry, combine the flour and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and egg yolks and process for 1 minute. Add about 4 tablespoons of cold water and pulse until the dough is combined. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and gently knead for 2 minutes, or until the dough is just combined. Flatten to a disc, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 5mm thick. Lay the pastry over a round 32cm tart tin, 4cm deep, and carefully press into the base and sides. Trim any excess with a sharp knife, line the case with 4 layers of clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. To blind bake the pastry, fill with pastry weights, rice or beans and bake for 15 minutes. Lift out the weights using the clingfilm and bake the pastry for 5 more minutes, or until the base is dry. Remove from the oven, place the tin on an oven tray and leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the bacon or lardons until softened. Drain on kitchen paper and allow to cool, then combine in a bowl with the ham and gruyère cheese and spread evenly over the cooled pastry case.
5. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Whisk the crème fraîche, eggs, egg yolks, milk and nutmeg together in a bowl and season generously. Carefully pour the mixture into the pastry case.
6. Bake the quiche in the oven for 40–45 minutes or until the filling has set and the top is beginning to turn golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
7. For the carrot and parsley salad, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season generously, mix well and serve with slices of warm quiche.
Per serving 519 cals, 34.5g fat (17.8g saturated), 16.2g protein, 34.7g carbs, 4.5g sugars
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo Con Poulos
from Issue 21
ingredients• 1 tbsp butter
• 140g bacon, diced, or lardons
• 140g ham, diced
• 140g gruyère cheese, grated
• 250ml crème fraîche
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 egg yolks
• 250ml milk
• A pinch of ground nutmeg
• 500g flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 130g unsalted butter, diced
• 2 egg yolks
Carrot & parsley salad
• 6 large carrots, grated
• A small handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
• 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• Juice of 1 lemon