Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Roast chicken for two
main courses | serves 2
This roast chicken with a rich stuffing is really special if you’re having a romantic dinner. (Plus you get great leftovers.)
1. Heat a frying pan on a medium heat, add a splash of oil and gently fry the pear, chestnuts, onion, garlic and sage for 15 minutes, or until softened. Add the butter, move the veg to one side, then add the livers. Season well and cook for a minute or so, then add a splash of brandy and stir. Cook on high for no more than 4 minutes, so the livers are still blushing inside; you’ll see them plump up. Overcooked, they’re tough, and we want them silky smooth.
2. Tip it all into a food processor and pulse till creamy, but with some texture. Stir in the cranberries, then spread out on a plate and pop in the fridge to cool for a few minutes.
3. Preheat your oven to full whack. Gently push your fingers between the skin and chicken breast meat to create a pocket. Push the stuffing into it, pull back the skin and secure with a couple of cocktail sticks. Drizzle with olive oil and season well, rubbing it all over the meat. Fit as many orange wedges into the chicken’s cavity as you can – leave enough room for air to circulate – then transfer it to a roasting tray.
4. Place the bird in the oven, then turn down the heat to 190C/gas 5. Cook for 80 minutes in total. Halfway through, baste the chicken, cover the breast with bacon and return to the oven. When done, transfer to a board to rest before carving. Sprinkle with thyme and serve with roast vegetables.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 14
ingredients• Olive oil
• 1 pear, peeled, cored and chopped
• A handful of vac-packed chestnuts,
• ˝ onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled
• 1 sprig of sage, leaves picked
• 1 large knob of butter
• 150g chicken livers, trimmed and stringy bits removed
• A handful of dried cranberries
• 1.6kg chicken
• 1 orange, cut into 6
• 6 rashers unsmoked streaky bacon
• A few sprigs of thyme