Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Roast pork belly served two ways
main courses | serves 4
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Score the pork skin and fat, then rub with a lemon half. Season the skin and meat with salt, pepper, nutmeg and thyme. Roast pork for 30 minutes, until the skin puffs and starts to turn into crackling. Reduce heat to 180C/gas 4 and roast for another hour.
2. To make salsa verde, finely chop the garlic, capers, gherkins and anchovies. Place the herbs on top and chop till fine, then stir in almonds, apricots, vinegar and olive oil. Mix in the mustard and a small swig of water, and season.
3. Take the pork out the oven, baste with its fat, then place on a board. Add the remaining lemon halves, garlic and veg to the tray. Place the pork on top and cook for another hour, or until tender. If required, give it another 20 minutes.
4. Lift out the pork, cover and let rest. Spoon any fat out of the tray. Coarsely chop the lemons and return to the tray. Stir in the couscous and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes, scraping the tray with a wooden spoon and pressing down on the veg. Cover with foil, and return to the oven for 10–15 minutes or until the couscous is cooked.
5. Serve the pork and couscous alongside a bowl of the salsa verde and a bowl of yoghurt, spiced with the harissa and sprinkled with the chopped chilli and optional coriander.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 2
ingredients• 1.5kg pork belly, skin on
• 3 lemons, halved
• Freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 small bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked
• 2 red onions, halved
• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
• 2 sticks celery, chopped in chunks
• 1 garlic bulb, broken into cloves, skin on
• 750ml stock or water
• 500g couscous
• ½ garlic clove, peeled
• 1 tsp capers, soaked and drained
• 4 little gherkins
• 2 good-quality anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
• 1 small bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
• 1 small handful fresh basil, leaves picked
• 1 small handful fresh mint, leaves picked
• 1 small handful blanched almonds, toasted, chopped
• 6 dried apricots, finely chopped
• 1–2 tbsp red wine vinegar, to taste
• 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp dijon mustard
• 1 x 200ml tub plain yoghurt
• 2 tsp good-quality harissa paste
• ½ fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
• 1 small bunch fresh coriander, leaves only (optional)