Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Roasted beetroot, red onion and watercress salad
snacks and sides | serves 6-8
Beetroot is one of my favourite vegetables. I prefer to buy bunches of them with the leaves on, as the stalks and leaves are so tasty and nutritious.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Place the beetroot bulbs in a baking tin, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and fill the tin to a depth of about 5cm with water. Cover the dish with tinfoil, then bake for 11¼ hours, or until a knife slips easily into the flesh and the skin slides off. Remove the beets from the tin and leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile, on a baking tray, toss the onion wedges in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season well. Add these to the oven too, and roast for about 30 minutes, or until soft. Remove and set aside to cool.
3. When the beetroot is cool enough to handle, rub off the skins, then cut into wedges (wear plastic gloves for this, or your hands will be pink for days). Set aside.
4. Blanch the beetroot stalks and leaves in a pan of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes, then drain well.
5. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a pan over a high heat, add the beetroot stalks and garlic and fry for a few minutes, until the garlic is golden. Then turn down the heat to medium, pour in the wine and cook for 10 minutes. Add the beetroot leaves, season, and cook until wilted.
6. To make the vinaigrette, whisk the vinegar into the mustard, then stir in the olive oil and season to taste. Set aside.
7. Now put the salad together. In a large serving bowl, gently toss the roasted beetroot and red onions with the stalk mixture, chopped herbs, capers and vinaigrette, then mix through the watercress and serve.
Per serving 339 cals, 19.6g fat (2.7g saturated), 6.2g protein, 26g carbs, 21.5g sugars
Recipe Margot Henderson
Photo Myles New
from Issue 36
ingredients 2 x 600g bunches beetroot (1215 beets), stalks trimmed and sliced into 1cm pieces, leaves reserved
5 tbsp olive oil
4 red onions, cut into wedges
4 garlic cloves, chopped
125ml white wine
2 tbsp chopped dill
2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
2 tbsp chopped parsley leaves
3 tbsp baby capers, drained and rinsed
2 x 75g bags of watercress
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil