Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Salted caramel brownies
dessert recipes | Makes 16
1. Start by making your caramel. In a pan, combine the cream, vanilla seeds and pod, half of the butter and a good pinch of salt. Cook, whisking, over a low heat until its just bubbling, about 23 minutes, then take the pan off the heat and set aside.
2. Place the caster sugar and golden syrup in a medium heavy-based pan over a low heat. Dont stir, just gently swirl the pan to help dissolve the sugar. Turn up the heat to medium and keep swirling until the sugar turns into a golden caramel.
3. Take the pan off the heat and discard the vanilla pod. Stir the caramel into the cream mixture
with a wooden spoon, return it to a low heat while you stir in the remaining butter, then remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Scrunch up a large piece of greaseproof paper, make it wet (shake off the excess), then use it to line a 20 x 30cm baking tin. Pour in the caramel, sprinkle with the rest of the salt, and place it on a tea towel in the fridge for 30 minutes, until you have a thick, gooey caramel.
5. Once the caramel has been chilling for 15 minutes, start the brownies. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and grease and line another 20 x 30cm baking tin.
6. Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat. Stir in the chocolate until its melted, then remove from the heat and stir in the sugar. Once cooled slightly, whisk in the eggs then fold in the flour until incorporated. Pour the mixture into the tin.
7. Take your caramel from the fridge, scoop out spoonfuls and dot them into the brownie mixture, pressing to submerge. Once you have a third of the caramel left, drizzle it on top, using your spoon to ripple it through.
8. Bake the brownies in the oven for about 25 minutes, until cooked but still a bit gooey. Leave to cool for 1 hour, cut into squares and serve.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 50
ingredients 225g butter, plus extra for greasing
250g 70%-cocoa dark chocolate, chopped
225g golden caster sugar
4 large eggs
150g plain flour, sifted
40ml double cream
¼ vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped
15g salted butter
2 pinches of sea salt
60g caster sugar
40g golden syrup