Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Spectacular braised Mediterranean beef
main courses | serves 6
Topside is great value for this recipe, ask your butcher to cut you six steaks and flatten them out into escalopes, or you can bash them out yourself with a rolling pin.
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. Sprinkle the steaks with the oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper, then finely grate over the lemon zest.
2. Whiz up the anchovies, bread, feta and a drizzle of anchovy oil in a food processor till you have fine crumbs. Scatter the mixture over 1 side of the steaks, reserving a handful for later, then roll the steaks up around the filling and secure with cocktail sticks.
3. Add a glug of olive oil to a casserole that will fit the steaks snugly and cook the steaks over a medium heat. Once golden brown underneath, turn them over and add the garlic, olives, tomatoes, basil stalks and a pinch of salt and pepper. Break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, add 250ml water, then put the lid on.
4. Transfer to the oven and cook for 1½ hours, or till the meat is tender. Remove the lid, scatter over the remaining bread mixture and drizzle with a little oil. Turn the oven up to 180C/gas 4 and cook for a further 2030 minutes, till golden brown on top and bubbling up from underneath.
5. Divide the meat between plates, squeeze the lemon juice into the sauce and add the chopped basil leaves. Taste for seasoning, then spoon the sauce over the meat.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 26
ingredients 6 x 125g topside minute steaks
1 tbsp dried oregano
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
4 tinned or jarred anchovies in oil
150g stale bread
40g feta cheese
2 garlic cloves, sliced
12 olives, stones removed
800g tinned plum tomatoes
1 bunch of basil, leaves chopped, stalks finely chopped