Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Squid with tamarind recado & pineapple salsa
main courses | serves 6
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic cloves in a roasting tin, season, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and roast for 30 minutes or until soft. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Peel the garlic.
2. Place the tamarind pulp in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 15 minutes (if using paste, omit this step).
3. Place the chillies in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid.
4. Place the chillies, garlic, half the onion, the tomatoes, olive oil, sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper in a food processor and blend to a thick paste. Add the tamarind pulp and liquid (or the paste), then 6 tablespoons of the chilli liquid and blend briefly again to combine. Transfer the mixture to a large nonreactive bowl.
5. Place the squid in the marinade, cover with clingfilm and marinate for 3?4 hours in the refrigerator.
6. Preheat a barbecue or cast-iron griddle pan to a medium heat. Remove the squid from the fridge, shake off excess marinade and cook, turning, for 10?15 minutes, till tender and beginning to blacken.
7. For the salsa, cook the pineapple on a barbecue or cast-iron griddle pan on medium heat, turning occasionally, for 5?7 minutes or until tender and blackening. Transfer to a food processor, add the mint and remaining roasted onion and blitz to a chunky paste. Stir through the lime juice.
8. Divide the squid among serving plates and serve with the pineapple salsa and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Per serving 148 cals, 1.8g fat (0.4g saturated), 14.6g protein, 17.3g carbs, 15g sugars
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo Con Poulos
from Issue 20
ingredients? 500g squid, cleaned and sliced
? Lime wedges, to serve
? 4 plum tomatoes, halved
? 1 white onion, peeled and halved
? 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
? 3 tbsp olive oil
? 100g tamarind pulp or 80g tamarind paste
? 6 dried chipotle chillies
? 1 tbsp sea salt
Pineapple & chilli salsa
? 120g fresh pineapple, skin removed, roughly chopped
? ½ roasted onion (as above)
? 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
? Juice of ½ lime