Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Sticky onion gravy
snacks and sides | serves 4
1. Melt the butter in a wide, shallow pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, then cook over a medium-low heat until golden and soft, stirring regularly. Add a splash of water any time it looks too dry.
2. Once golden and soft, put a lid on and cook for another 10 minutes or so over a low heat. The onions should be falling apart and a lovely deep brown colour, but not burning.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes before stirring in the red wine. Bubble to reduce and cook off the alcohol a little, about 2–5 minutes, then add the stock and season well to taste.
4.Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes more, or until the gravy is soft, sticky and delicious. Finally, stir through a splash of balsamic vinegar. Serve with bangers,
mash and lovely spring greens.
Per serving 112 cals, 4.5g fat (2.7g saturated), 3.5g protein, 10.8g carbs, 5.9g sugars
from Issue 35
ingredients• 20g butter
• 2–3 onions, finely sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 tsp flour
• ½ glass of red wine
• 250ml chicken or veg stock
• 1–2 tbsp balsamic vinegar