Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Sweet & sour chicken
main courses | serves 6
"This recipe is all about control," says Jamie. "Let the chicken stick to the pan at the start of the cooking so it develops a barbecue vibe, then stop the process by adding the liquid and letting it cook through to get soft and lovely."
1. Put the chicken in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss with the five-spice. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the chicken, skin-side down. Cook for 5 minutes, then throw in the ginger, chilli, 4 spring onions and garlic. Drizzle over the honey and fry until dark golden and sticky.
2. When its looking good, add the plums, vinegar, soy and a little sesame oil to stop everything from sticking. Put the lid on, reduce the heat and let it cook slowly for 2030 minutes, till the chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove the lid and allow the liquid to reduce and get sticky, then transfer everything to a board.
3. Let it all cool a little, then shred the chicken and return it to the pan; discard the bones. Chop up the plums and garlic, discarding the stones and skin, on the board with the chilli and extra spring onions, mixing to create a kind of hot chopped salad; discard the ginger. Scrape it all back into the pan with the chicken.
4. Place the noodles, peas or mange tout, spinach and tea bag in a pan and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Discard the tea bag.
5. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the noodles and veg to the pan with the chicken. Use a little cooking liquid to loosen the sauce, then toss it all together. Top with herbs and serve with lime.
Per serving 619 cals, 31.4g fat (8.9g saturated), 31.4g protein, 50.4g carbs, 17.8g sugars
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 20
ingredients 4 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
2 tsp five-spice powder
3cm piece of ginger, peeled
1 red chilli
4 spring onions, trimmed, plus ½ bunch extra
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 tbsp runny honey
6 whole plums
8 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
300400g medium egg noodles
200g sugar-snap peas or mange tout
125g baby spinach
1 jasmine tea bag
Baby herbs or chopped herbs and lime wedges, to serve