Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Vanilla ice cream
dessert recipes | makes 12
The recipe for your ice cream sandwiches… Homemade makes all the difference.
1. Pour the milk and half of the cream into a medium sized, heavy-based pan and place it over a low-medium heat. Add the split vanilla pod, and slowly bring it to the boil. Then take it off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Reheat the milk mixture until warmed through, then slowly pour it into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until smooth.
3. Return the custard to the pan, place it back on the hob and heat it gently, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon – do not allow the custard to boil, or the eggs will scramble.
4. Strain it through a sieve into a clean bowl, add the remaining cream and whisk to combine. Set aside until completely cold, then chill it in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
5. Churn the chilled mixture in an ice cream machine, and line a 20 x 30cm brownie tin with baking paper. Spoon the ice cream into the lined tin, spread it level, then cover with cling film and freeze until solid.
267 kcals, 23.3g fat (13.7g saturated), 2.5g protein, 12.5 carbs, 12.5g sugar .Check out the full feature in Issue 49
Recipe Annie Rigg
Photo Maja Smend
ingredients• 250ml whole milk
• 450ml double cream
• 1 vanilla pod, split
• 4 large egg yolks
• 125g caster sugar