Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
dessert recipes | serves 8
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease two 20cm sandwich tins, line the base of each tin with greaseproof paper and dust sides lightly with flour. Beat the butter with the sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating in each before adding the next, then fold in flour, baking powder and rosewater. Divide the mixture between the tins, spreading it evenly with a spatula. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Stick a wooden skewer into the centre of the cake: if it comes out clean, it’s done; if it’s sticky, return the cake to the oven for a few minutes. Let cakes cool slightly then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, lightly whip your cream with vanilla seeds, sugar and a splash of rosewater until soft peaks form. Pick your prettiest cake and set aside. Take the second sponge and place it on your serving plate. Trim the top of the cake to make it flat, then spread it with jam, followed by cream. Scatter over some raspberries, top with the other cake and dust with caster sugar.
Recipe Ginny Rolfe
Photo Tara Fisher
from Issue 5
ingredients• 200g very soft unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
• 200g golden caster sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 200g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
• 1 rounded tsp baking powder
• 2 tbsp rosewater, plus a splash extra
• Caster sugar, for dusting
• 250ml double cream
• 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
• 1 dessertspoon golden caster sugar
• 120g raspberries, squashed slightly
• 4 tbsp raspberry jam