© David Loftus
aubergine and mint bruschetta
Heat a griddle pan until nice and hot. Lay your aubergine slices on it side by side and when they are nicely charred on both sides, put them into a bowl. You will probably need to do this in several batches.
While the aubergines are grilling, put 8 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of vinegar, with the parsley, mint and garlic, into another bowl and season with salt and pepper.
When the aubergines are all done, add them to the dressing and mix around, then check the seasoning again and divide on to the bruschetta. Press the topping into the toast so all the lovely flavour gets sucked in!
• from Jamie's Italy
• 2 nice firm aubergines, the round purple Italian ones if possible, sliced lengthways about 3mm thick
• extra virgin olive oil
• white wine or herb vinegar
• 2 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and finely sliced
• a small handful of fresh mint, leaves picked and finely sliced
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and very finely sliced
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper