© David Loftus
charred eggy bread with strawberries and honey
Mix the beaten egg with the milk and a dash of limoncello in a shallow dish. Dip the bread slices into the mixture and shake off the excess. Sprinkle the slices with the caster sugar, then cook on the barbecue for a couple of minutes on each side until golden.
Dust the strawberries with caster sugar and grill them really quickly, just until the sugar on the outside browns.
Top the warm bread with ricotta and the grilled strawberries. Drizzle with honey and decorate with lemon zest.
• 2 eggs, preferably free-range or organic, beaten
• 50ml full-fat milk
• a good dash of limoncello
• 4 thick slices of stale sourdough or Italian bread
• 2 tablespoons caster sugar, plus a little extra
• 250g strawberries, halved
• 200g ricotta, sliced or crumbled
• runny honey
• grated lemon zest, to serve