© David Loftus
moorish crunch salad
First of all, finely slice your carrots into matchstick-sized batons (see page 266). Finely slice your radishes — you can leave a little of the tops on if you like. Quarter your apples, remove the cores and finely slice. Add all these to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients, apart from the sesame seeds. Toss together, carefully checking the seasoning, and serve with the sesame seeds sprinkled over the top. Eat straight away.
Try this: Turn it into a warm salad by adding some pan-seared chicken, shrimp or scallops which have been dusted with a little paprika.
And this: Make it more of a snack by frying some halloumi cheese until golden with some chopped fresh chilli and crumbling this over the top.
Or this: Grill some pita bread and serve stuffed with the Crunch Salad. Crumble in some feta cheese too. Lovely.
• 10 1/2 oz carrots, peeled
• 5 1/2 oz radishes
• 2 crunchy eating apples
• 1 small handful of dark or white raisins
• 1 handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
• 1 handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
• 4 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar
• 8 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon tahini
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted in the oven