© David Loftus
Rolled Bread of Parma Ham, Nice Cheese, Egg and Basil
Proceed through the basic bread recipe until Stage 5, dusting the dough with flour as you shape it into a long rectangle about V inch thick. This should end up being about 40 inches long and about 7 or 8 inches wide.
Along the middle of the bread, lay out your Parma ham, eggs, cheese, basil and tomatoes and olives if you’re using them. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pull the dough over the filling so it forms what looks like a cannelloni shape. Then what you need to do is bring one end round to the other so that they join up. Pinch and pat the two ends together firmly to form a doughnut-shaped loaf. Transfer to a flour-dusted baking pan, allow to rise for 15 minutes, dust with flour and place in your preheated oven at 350°F for 35 minutes until golden. Allow to cool and then either transport to a picnic and carve it there— if you’re lucky, it will still be a little warm in the middle—or eat there and then. Fantastic.
• 1 x basic bread recipe
• 10 slices of Parma ham
• 8 large organic eggs, boiled for 8 minutes and shelled
• 14oz cheese (a mixture of Cheddar, Fontina, Parmesan or any leftovers that need to be used up), grated
• 2 handfuls of fresh basil
• optional: sun-dried tomatoes or plum tomatoes and olives, halved
• extra virgin olive oil
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper