Added by Kippur | Tue 23 Jun 2009 @ 07:07
This recipe begins with a brine and so it will need to be made at least 6 hours ahead of time.
Center Cut Pork Chops 1 inē thick- 6
Vegetable Broth- 3 cups.
Apple Juice (unfiltered)- 3 cups.
Fresh thyme- 10 sprigs
Bay leaf- 1
Garlic cloves (crushed)- 2
Cider Vinegar- 2 oz.
Peppercorns (whole)- 1 Tbs
Kosher Salt- 4 oz.
Liquid Smoke- 1/2 oz.
Ice- 16 oz.
1. Combine all of the ingredients except the pork chops and the ice in a pot big enough to hold it all. Bring just to a boil and remove from the heat. this is just to wake up the flavors and allow them to open up.
2. Add the ice to cool it back down. Once the brine is cool enough not to cook the pork chops, place the brine in some form of container to hold the pork chops and allow even flow of the brine around the pork.
3. Place the pork in the brine in the refrigerator for anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. This can also be done overnight.
4. When ready to cook, remove chops from the brine. Be sure to rinse any excess brine off the chops and pat dry thoroughly. DO NOT SEASON OR SALT IN ANY WAY, the brine did that already, any more salt would be too much.
5. Preheat your grill whether it be gas or charcoal so it is good and hot being sure to use a rolled up towel dipped some vegetable oil to rub down the grates just before placing the pork on the grill to ensure that the pork does not stick.
6. Place the pork on the grates and leave for 2 minutes, and then rotate the pork 45 degrees to create the fancy grill marks if you like, and cook for another two minutes, then flip. since your guests will only see one side you do not have to rotate half way through unless you like. You can just cook for another 4 minutes on the second side or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. or 63 degrees C.
7. Remove from the heat cover in aluminum foil and let the meat rest for 5-10 minutes. Serve the chops fancy side up alongside a peppery green salad with an apple cider vinaigrette and you guessed it, a chunky home made applesauce.