Banana Walnut Slices
Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
(my cup measures 250ml)
2 cups plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup of softened butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp bourbon vanilla essence
2 eggs, beaten
3 medium,very ripe bananas(mashed with a fork)
about 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
A couple of tbsp of sugar for sprinkling
1. Stir the flour,baking powder and salt together.
2.Cream the butter with the sugar and vanilla essence in a large bowl.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter mixture, making sure you incorporate the eggs well.
4. Add the mashed bananas and stir well.
5. Add the dry ingredients, bit by bit, mixing well.
6. Finally add the chopped nuts, folding in gently.
7.Pour into a cake tin (mine's 26cm) sprinkle with the sugar and bake in a pre-heated oven (150C) for approx. 35-40mins till firm to the touch.
8. Allow to cool before slicing (tastes even better the next day)
I make these for lunch boxes as the cake stays really moist for at least 4-5 days if kept in a cake tin.