Added by Mem | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
70g unsalted butter, melted
3 tsp powdered gelatine
100g wholemeal biscuits, broken
2 eggs, separated
75g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds removed
300ml thick cream, whipped
2 bananas, sliced
150ml thickened cream
75g unsalted butter
150g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Use a little of the melted butter to brush the base and sides of a 20cm springform pan. Line the base with baking paper.
2. Dissolve gelatine in 2 tablespoons hot water. Set aside. Crush the biscuits in a food processor. Combine remaining butter with biscuit crumbs and press into the base of the pan.
3. Place egg yolks, two-thirds of the sugar, the mascarpone and the seeds from the vanilla bean in an electric mixer and beat until pale. Add the gelatine and whipped cream. Beat eggwhites and remaining sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form, then fold into the cheese mixture. Spoon over the base, then refrigerate overnight.
4. To make the toffee sauce, place all ingredients in a pan over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Then increase heat to high and cook for a further 2 minutes. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
5. To serve, arrange banana slices on top of the cake and drizzle with the sauce.