Added by RedfoxEstonia | Tue 23 Mar 2010 @ 06:40
I told ya estonians donīt have flatbreads? Well, I forgot \"karask\" which is a quick soda bread type thing baked on a cooking plate. Traditionally it has crispy bacon on top and is eaten with sour cream, but non-meat-eaters can make it with salmon or cheese on top. The karask that contains curd doesnīt need anything on top, you can make it a bit sweeter and eat with honey and fresh milk.
200 g curd (preferably 4-5 % fat; completely fat free aint healthy cause without fat you donīt absorb that calcium)
180 g barley flour (preferably organic, with more fibre)
50 g wheat bran
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp ground cumin or fenkol seeds
TOPPINGS AND SEASONINGS:
1 tbsp light, runny honey [+ 1 tbsp sugar if you want it sweeter]
+ blackberries, blueberries or cloudberries
whole grain rye flakes
crumble top (1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp wheat flour, 2 tbsp oatmeal, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon)
100 g hard cheese
50 g smoked salmon
50 g bacon
different seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)
+ 1 tsp butter
1. Mix flour with brans, soda, salt, [ground cumin or fenkol seeds for the salty version]
2. Beat the eggs and mix with curd [and honey, sugar for the sweet version]. Fold the flour mix into the curd and eggs.
3. Add 2 tbsp of sunflower oil by slowly dripping it into the dough while constantly stirring.
4. Grease a cooking plate, sprinkle some oatmeal on the bottom and pour the dough on the plate.
5. For the sweet topping sprinkle berries and /or seeds and/or rye flakes on top and/or make the crumble: put cold butter in a bowl, add flour, cinnamon and with a round tip knife nip together until you have about pea-size butter lumps covered with flour and oatmeal. Mix in brown sugar and sprinkle on top of the karask.
6. For salty topping slice the bacon /salmon or grate the cheese and sprinkle on top. Add a few shreds of butter on top.
7. bake in a 200 C oven for 25 minutes. Eat warm with sour cream, honey, fresh milk or fresh salad. Doesnīt stay fresh too long, eat it on the same day.