Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by Allora Andiamo
1. Heat a few tbsps of oil in a large, heavy based casserole pot. Add the meat and fry over a medium/high heat till browned. Remove from the pot.
2. Add another dash of oil to the pan and throw in the onion, carrots and celeriac. Fry over a medium heat, till onions have softened.
3. Return the meat to the pan, then sprinkle with the flour. Fry over a low heat for about 1 minute before adding all of the herbs and spices.
4. Pour in the beer and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and cook in the oven at 150C, for approx. 3 hours (see step 5). Remove the herb bag.
5. About 30 mins before the end of cooking, lay the dumplings over the stew, cover then continue cooking.
Preparing the dumplings:
1. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and butter. Rub the mixture between your fingers until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs.
2. Add the grated cheese and the chives, mixing together with a fork.
3. Pour in the milk, bit by bit, mixing with a fork. You may need a little more milk depending on the quality of your flour, just make sure the mixture isn't too wet.
4.Divide the mixture into 12 balls, rolling them very gently in your hands before placing them onto the stew.
5. Cook as above.