Added by Despina33 | Mon 13 Jul 2009 @ 16:47
Dried cherries enhance the fruitiness of these wholesome berry muffins.
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar or 1/3 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
1 cup buttermilk or equivalent buttermilk powder and water
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries, raspberries and/or strawberries
1/4 cup dried cherries
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400įF. Coat 12 standard 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar (or Splenda) in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, lemon (or orange) zest and vanilla; whisk until blended.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients; stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently stir in mixed berries and dried fruit. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle sugar over the tops.
5. Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.