Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 27 Jan 2009 @ 17:42
approx 800g beef (suitable for braising),cut into large cubes
1 med onion, sliced
70g dried porcini mushrooms (soaked in 250 ml water)
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
200ml soured cream
250ml single cream
A few tbsp of olive oil for frying the meat
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
approx.500ml good quality beef stock
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in warm water for 1 hour. Drain the mushrooms keeping the water to add to the dish later.
2. Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, add the beef and brown well on all sides.
3. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the sliced onions to the pan and fry gently till lightly browned.
5. Add the garlic and fry for a minute or so.
6. Return the beef to the pan, adding the porcini mushrooms with the soaking water.
7. Add the beef stock and taste for seasoning.
8. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a low heat for approx. 2.5 - 3 hours, checking regularly to make sure it doesn\'t dry out too much.When it\'s ready, the meat should be very tender and you will be left with only a small amount of rich tasting \'sauce\'.
9. To finish, add the soured and single cream and heat gently till warmed through.
10. Serve with pasta and a little parmesan cheese.