Brinjal ( aubergine ) curry
Added by peanutts | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
1 medium size onion, sliced.
2 cloves garlic grated
1 sprig curry leaves
2 red chillies , cut in half length wise
2 tsps cumin powder
Ĺ tsp chilli powder
ľ tsp tumeric
100g maldivian dried tuna chips/slices (optional)
Oil for deep frying
1 tbsp ghee or oil
1.Cut the eggplants in half and cut then in to about 1- 1 Ĺ inch long batons about Ĺ inch thick. Place in a colander add a pinch of salt and mix in. Leave for about 5 minutes.
2. Wash the eggplants and pat dry using a clean tea towel or kitchen paper. I prefer a clean kitchen towel than paper as the paper tends to stick to the eggplant slices.
3. Heat oil for deep frying , fry the eggplant pieces till golden. Drain well on a kitchen paper.
4. Alternatively, you can try this method instead of deep frying: drizzle some olive oil or vegetable over your eggplant pieces , mix well till coated with oil and place in a moderately hot over and bake till golden brown.
5.Heat a large non stick frying pan or a wok, add ghee and the onion slices. Stir till translucent.
6. Add curry leaves and garlic and stir around for about 1 minute.
7. Lower heat , add spices , and sprinkle a little water about 1 tbsp , to prevent the spices from burning, mix everything together.
8. Add dried fish, and the eggplants. Stir fry till cooked through and all the spices have coated the eggplants, about 2-3 minutes.
Serve with plain rice and a mild curry