Added by BritishSalads | Tue 03 Nov 2009 @ 15:20
For the chicken:
90ml/6tbsp Greek yoghurt
2.5ml/1/2 tsp salt
2.5ml/1/2 tsp chilli powder
10ml/2 tsp cumin powder
2.5ml/1/2 tsp garam masala
2.5cm/1/2in piece root ginger, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
Juice of half a lemon
2 (140g) chicken breast fillets, skinned
Scotch bonnet vinaigrette:
50ml light olive oil
40ml lemon juice
Salt to taste
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1-2 scotch bonnet chilli, seeds removed and chopped
One large pinch of sugar
For the salad:
1 (90g) naan bread
100g/4 oz cucumber, finely sliced
1 large plum tomato, deseeded and finely sliced
30ml/2 tbsp finely chopped red onion or shallot
45ml/3 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
30g coconut shavings or flakes, fresh or dried
30g chilli cashews (see below)
2 handfuls of Romaine lettuce
1 handful of baby salad leaves
1 long red chilli, deseeded, and finely sliced for garnish (optional)
1. Marinate the chicken: Mix together the ingredients for the tikka paste. Add the chicken, coat well, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 mins or overnight if time allows.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing: place all the ingredients in a bowl and blend into a fine paste with a fork. Season to taste. Set aside.
3. When ready to cook, heat a griddle pan, add the naan and cook on both sides until the naan is crisp, about 2 minutes each side. Slice and then cut on the diagonal to make diamond shapes.
4. Add the chicken to the griddle and cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for another 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 5-6 minutes or until cooked all the way through (pierce the thickest part with the tip of a knife and press the juices coming out should be clear). Slice the chicken and cool slightly.
5. Place all the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl, add half the dressing and toss well to mix. Divide between two large plates, scatter over the naan and place the chicken on top and finally garnish with the sliced chilli. Serve with the remaining dressing for dunking the pieces of toasted naan (delicious!).
Quick Chilli Cashew nuts Heat 1 tsp oil in a small saucepan, add a pinch of salt, and 1/4 tsp each freshly round black pepper, chilli powder and ground cumin powder. Add 30g unsalted cashew nuts and stir well to coat. Keep stirring until roasted, around 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and cool.