Added by cookstr | Mon 16 Nov 2009 @ 11:18
One of the simplest, tastiest, and most popular of recipes – it is the relatively high sugar content that gives brownies their delicious and characteristic crust. Do buy a chocolate with at least 70 percent cocoa solids for real flavor.
* 2oz best quality gluten-free dark semisweet chocolate
* 7 tablespoons (3½oz) butter
* 1 cup (7oz) superfine sugar
* 2 eggs, preferably free range, lightly whisked
* ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* ¾ cup (3oz) ground almonds
* ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
* Pinch of salt
* 1 cup (4oz) chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl suspended over a saucepan of simmering water or in a low oven.
Cream the butter and sugar until pale, soft, and light, then beat in the lightly whisked eggs, the vanilla extract, and melted chocolate. Lastly, stir in the ground almonds, gluten-free baking powder, salt, and chopped nuts. Spread the mixture in the pan and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes.
Leave to cool, then cut into 2in squares for serving.
Equipment: 8in square pan, lined with silicone paper
from Darina Allen and Rosemary Kearneys\' Healthy Gluten-free Cooking, (c) 2005 Darina Allen Kearney and Rosemary Kearney, Published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang
Recipe courtesy of Cookstr