Cheese and garlic potato gratin with Apple mint.
Added by Julian | Thu 07 Jul 2011 @ 18:22
15g ( 1 1/2 z ) butter
1 kg ( 2lb 3 oz ) floury potatoes,peeled and cut
into 5mm ( 1/4 in ) Slices
110g ( 4 oz ) Strong cheddar cheese grated
4 cloves of Garlic,crushed.
300 ml of Double or regular cream or even whipped cream
Salt & Pepper for seasoning
A handful of Apple Mint for the topping.
1) Preheat the oven to 180 C ( 350 F ).Gas mark 4.Butter the gratin dish and place on a baking sheet.
2) Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with 1 teaspoon of Salt.Add the potatoes slices.Bring back to the boil and cook for 3/4 minutes.Don\'t over cook the potatoes as they will crumble.Drain well and leave for a few minutes until cool enough to handle.
3) Arrange a third of the potato slices in the bottom of the gratin dish.Season well and scatter over a third of the cheese and a third of the garlic.Repeat with another layer,using another third of the ingredients.Finally,top with the remaining potatoes and scatter with the remaining garlic.Pour over the cream before scattering the remaining cheese on top.
4) Grab a handful of Apple mint and scatter over the top.Season well with salt & pepper.
5) Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown on top.