Added by rhianna899 | Sun 11 Oct 2009 @ 10:10
Makes around 10 pasties
500g block puff pastry (I used bought)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 large floury potatoes mashed with milk, butter and seasoning
around 10 cherry tomatoes sliced in half or 2 regular tomatoes sliced
Around 300g of cheese grated (I used a mix of cheddar, gorgonzola and parmesan but any you like is fine)
1 egg beaten
Preheat you oven to 200c.
1) Line a couple of large baking trays with non stick baking paper (You may have to cook these in batches).
2) Gently heat 1 knob of butter with a splash of olive oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion and garlic. Sweat over a low heat for around ten minutes until soft but not browned. When done, stir in the mashed potaoes and leave to cool.
3) Roll out the puff pastry evenly to around a half a cm thick and then slice into 20 evenly sized rectangles.
4) Brush the edges of half the squares with beaten egg then fill with a tablespoon of the mashed potato mix, a small amount of the grated cheese and either two halves of cherry tomato or a couple of slices of regular tomato. Kepp the mix away from the edges.
5) Top with the other half of the squares then crimp the edges together (Try and make sure this is done firmly to stop the cheese leaking out!), brush with beaten egg and prick the top with a knife.
6) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
These freeze well. When cool, wrap individually in clingfilm and freeze in a tupperware container. Take out as needed. Ideal for taking to work and heating up in the microwave.