Added by kye in france | Mon 18 May 2009 @ 14:47
Chicken is browned with colombo seasoning and braised with onions, coconut milk, lime juice, and herbs. It is finished with bananas and pistachio nuts. This is a popular dish served over Creole Rice in the French West Indies. I added a leftover courgette and a tomoto Colombo powder is French West Indies curry powder - a mixture of cumin, coriander, brown mustard, malabar black pepper, cloves, fenugreek, and turmeric.
* 2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
* 1 Tablespoon butter
* 1 chicken (cut into pieces)
* 4 Tablespoons colombo powder
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 2 cups peeled and chopped onions
* 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
* 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
* 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
* 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley
* 1 teaspoon chopped Scotch Bonnet pepper
* 1 Tablespoon salt
* 1 Tablespoon pepper
* 1 cup peeled and chopped banana (optional)
* 1/2 cup shelled pistachios (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter. Stir in the chicken and colombo powder. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until brown.
Add the chicken broth, onions, 1/2 can of coconut milk, garlic, lime juice, thyme, chives, parsley, Scotch Bonnet pepper, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Stir in the remaining coconut milk, the bananas, and pistachios.
Serve hot with Creole Rice.
Yield: 6 servings