Added by hoppershaun | Thu 19 Feb 2009 @ 09:06
2 chicken breasts, pounded to about 1 inch thick
2 tbsp of olive oil, plus extra for shallow frying
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp of dried oregano
1 can of chopped tomatoes
salt and black pepper
1 egg, beaten
25g plain flour
50g mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
25g parmesan, grated
1. Heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and gently cook for 2 minutes.
2. Empty the can of chopped tomatoes into the pan and the oregano. Season and stir. Cook over a low/medium heat for 20-25 minutes until sauce is thick.
3. Meanwhile, coat the pieces of chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Next dip into the egg, and then finally dip into the breadcrumbs, ensuring the chicken is evenly covered.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C.
5. Heat enough olive oil for shallow frying in a frying pan. Fry the chicken on both sides until golden.
6. Place the chicken in a roasting tray and pour over the tomato sauce. Sprinkle over the grated cheeses and place in the middle of the oven. Bake until the cheeses have melted and the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 mins.
7. Serve with mixed salad leaves, tossed in a little vinaigrette.