Added by Allora Andiamo | Mon 25 Jan 2010 @ 16:39
This is lovely served with rice and some green vegetables. Alternatively, serve it in deep plates along with some nice crusty, country style bread to mop up the sauce.
3 whole chicken legs
about 350g small cremini mushrooms (or use button mushrooms)
500ml white wine
250 ml chicken stock
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 heaped tsp of grain mustard
2 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 heaped tbsp creme fraiche
Salt and black pepper to season
1. Using a large cast iron casserole (or similar), heat the olive oil over a medium heat and fry the chicken legs on both sides, just to give them a little colour.
2. Remove the legs from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook over a gentle heat for about 6-8 minutes till soft and lightly golden.
4. Add the mushrooms and rosemary then continue frying for a couple of minutes before adding the mustard.
5. Pour in the wine and cook over a high heat till wine has reduced by about 1/3.
6. Add the stock to the pan along with the chicken legs. Season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper.
7. Cover with a lid then bake in a pre-heated oven at 190C for approximately 1 1/4 hours.
8. Remove the legs from the pan and reduced the sauce further by boiling over a high heat for about 10 mins or until you\'re left with about 70% of the original amount.
9. Add the creme fraiche to the sauce, heat through gently then return the chicken legs to the pan to warm through.