Chicken stew with smoked bacon and field mushrooms
Added by VictoriaD | Sat 14 Nov 2009 @ 19:45
A really rich stew that is lovely on a chilly day. Serves 4-5 people.
500 g chicken thighs, cut in minor pieces
200 g smoked bacon, cut in minor pieces
2 onions, peeled and chopped
250 g field mushrooms, cut in quarters
250 ml red wine
3 -4 cups of chicken stock
a nice bread
1. In a Dutch oven, fry the chicken thighs, onion and bacon in some butter until golden. Season.
2. Add the wine, the chicken stock, chopped fresh thyme. (You might want to add some extra water). Let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Season more if you have to.
3. Meanwhile, fry the field mushrooms in some butter.
4. To thicken the stew, mix some potato flour (about 1 tbsp) together with some water. Add the mix to the stew.
5. At this point, the stew might have a \'greyish\' look, because of the mixture of water and wine. Therefore I usually add some soy sauce, just a little bit, to make the stew look more appetizing.
6. Add the mushrooms to the stew and put some fresh thyme on top.
7. Serve with a nice bread and mashed potatoes.