Chicken, Barley and Vegetable Soup
Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 02 Dec 2009 @ 21:05
Low in fat and full of healthy vegetables.. lovely served with chunks of crusty bread :)
1800ml chicken stock
2 large chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
3/4 cup barley
2 med carrots, diced
1 large leek, sliced
1 med• potato, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
approx• 1/4 of a small celeriac, diced
3 handfuls of chopped kale cabbage
1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 heaped tsp of dried tarragon
A little olive oil
1. Using a large pan/casserole, heat a little olive oil till just hot. Add the carrots,leek, garlic and celeriac and fry gently till vegetables are soft but not browned.
2. Add the chopped chicken to the pan and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
3. Now add the rest of the ingredients (except the cabbage), cover then simmer gently for approx. 1 hour.
4. Add the cabbage to the soup and continue cooking till cabbage is just soft.
5. Check for seasoning, adding a little salt if necessary.