Chinese-Style Steamed Fish
Added by Farmers Choice | Fri 20 Apr 2012 @ 12:41
2 sea bass
25g salted black beans
30g shredded fresh root ginger
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
30g chinese rice wine or dry sherry
30ml light soy sauce
4-6 spring onions, finely shredded
45ml groundnut (peanut) oil
10ml sesame oil
1. Wash the fish inside and out under cold running water, then lay them dry on kitchen paper. Using a sharp knife, slash three or four deep cross shapes on each side of each fish.
2. Mash half the black beans with the sugar in a small bowl and then stir in the remaining whole beans.
3. Place a little ginger and garlic inside each fish and then lay them on a plate or dish that will fit inside a large steamer. Rub the bean mixture into the fish, especially into the slashes, then sprinkle the remaining ginger and garlic over the top. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Place the steamer over a pan of boiling water. Sprinkle the rice wine or sherry and half the soy sauce over the fish and steam them for 15-20 minutes or until just cooked.
5. Sprinkle with the remaining soy sauce and sprinkle the spring onions over the fish.
6. In a small pan, heat the groundnut oil until smoking, then trickle it over the spring onions. Sprinkle with the sesame oil and serve immediately.