Added by Allora Andiamo | Sun 03 May 2009 @ 18:52
Crema Pasticcera...an italian cream (similar to a thick custard) which is used as a filling for Italian cakes and pastries. You can use the cream just as it is or add other flavours to it such as rosewater, vanilla, chocolate etc.
170g fine sugar (caster sugar)
4 med eggs (yolks)
Whole zest from 1 organic lemon (large strips)
1. Put the milk into a saucepan and add the lemon zest. Cook over a low heat till the milk is just warm, then set aside.
2. Crack the egg yolks into a mixing bowl and add the sugar.
3. Whisk at high speed for about 10-15 mins until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Sieve the flour and add to the egg mixture, whisking gently.
5. Pour in the milk (with zest), bit by bit, whisking the mixture continously.
6. Pour the crema into the saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring all the time.
7. The crema is ready when you can push the mixture aside with a spoon, without it collapsing.
8. Pour into a flat dish, spread out then cover with clingfilm (lay the clingfilm directly on the crema).
9. Place in the fridge to cool down completely.
10. To use, remove the lemon zest then fill the mixture into an icing bag and use a filling for cakes and pastries.