Damson Cake (Zwetschgenkuchen)
Added by Allora Andiamo | Mon 06 Sep 2010 @ 09:00
This Damson Cake recipe is from a German website. It consists of a sweet yeast dough base, topped with damsons and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Very simple and extremely yummy :)
500g plain flour
50g butter, softened
40g fresh yeast
Pinch of salt
1.2 kg damsons (wash, cut in half and remove stones)
4-5 tbsp sugar
2 tsps cinnamon
Some whipped cream to serve
1. Using a small saucepan, heat the milk gently till just warm then add the yeast (crumbled), 6 tbsp of flour and a good pinch of sugar. Cover with a tea towel and place somewhere warm for approx 30 mins.
2. Place the remaining flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs and add to the bowl along with the softened butter and milk/yeast mixture.
3. Using a dough hook, knead the mixture for approx 3 -4 mins .Cover the bowl with the tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place for approx 1 hour or until doubled in size.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a work surface and knead vigorously for just a few minutes.
5. Grease a large tart tin (approx 36cm) or a small baking tray. Roll out the dough , place in the tin then allow to prove for another 15 mins. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 190C (fan assisted).
6. Arrange the damsons, cut side up, on top of the dough. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the fruits.
7. Bake at 190C (fan assisted) for approx. 25-30 mins.
8. Serve just warm or cold , along with a good dollop of whipped cream.