Dolce della Nonna
Added by Jasper01 | Tue 28 Jul 2009 @ 19:44
A light and moist cake from the region of Campobasso, Italy passed down from generation to generation within my family. Without being overpowering, the flavor of the Gagliano liquor and the slight taste of lemon come through leaving the guest with a desire for another slice.
For Cake :
8 large egg yolks
12 large egg whites
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of Gagliano liquor
For Pastry cream:
Zest of 1 lemon
4 large egg yolks
2 cups milk
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
For Icing Sugar Glaze:
¼ to ½ cup of icing sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (to taste)
1. Preheat oven at 350F.
2. In large bowl, beat the egg yolks, add the sugar. Beat until pale yellow and creamy. Slowly add flour and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks; fold egg batter into egg whites about 1/3 at the time.
4. Pour mixture evenly into ungreased 10 in. tube pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Invert cake in pan on funnel; cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, prepare pastry cream.
1. Peel zest off the lemon.
2. In saucepan, heat the milk until very hot (without boiling)
3. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Then whisk in the flour until combined.
4. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolks.
5. Slowly pour egg mixture back into milk, stirring; add peeled lemon zest. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until mixture thickens and coats spoon well (do not boil).
6. Divide cream into two parts while still hot; keep ½ for the vanilla layer. Add 1 heap tbsp of cocoa powder to the remaining ½; stir until well combined.
7. Press plastic wrap onto surface of pastry cream to keep skin from forming as it cools; cool completely before assembling the cake.
ICING SUGAR GLAZE: In a small bowl, stir ¼ cup icing sugar and juice of one lemon. Add more icing sugar to desired consistency.
1. Assemble cake: With serrated knife, cut cake into 3 equal layers. Place 1 layer on platter; brush each side of layer with Gagliano liquor; spread on first layer with vanilla pastry cream. Add second cake layer brushed with Gagliano liquor, then spread with remaining chocolate pastry cream. Add third (remaining) layer. Pour and spread glaze over the cake.