Easy yet Delish Bolognese
Added by wyldgyrl | Wed 07 Jul 2010 @ 07:35
Another classic dish adjusted to the modern lifestyle. Easy to make with guaranteed rich and beautiful taste to please the crowd. Enjoy!
Approx 600gm lean beef mince
1 spanish onion chopped
1 garlic cube
A handful fresh basil torn
A handful chopped Italian parsley
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red wine
freshly grounded black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons gravy mix
1 small tin tomato paste (approx 75gm)
1. Place chopped onion, garlic cube, and beef mince in heavy saucepan with 1/2 cup water or so over medium heat. Stir to break up the mince evenly. You can always add more water later if bolognese seems dry.
2. To make the Bolognese Paste: Mix the dry ingredients followed by enough worchestershire sauce to a thick gravy consistency. Follow through with tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
3. When beef mince is brown, add in the Bolognese Paste and stir through to combine. Bring mixture to boil and add freshly grounded black pepper, parsley, and basil.
4. Pour in 1/2 cup red wine and let mixture simmer, stirring ever so often to prevent burning the mince at the bottom. Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
5. Serve with spaghetti or pasta of choice and top with grated parmesan cheese.
Note: I usually substitute the fresh basil and parsley with dried ones as I usually do not have them on hand. I still go crazy and put approx 2 teaspoons each.