Fairtrade Burnt Butter, White Chocolate and Brazil Nut Cookies
Added by emms | Fri 19 Feb 2010 @ 19:35
These crunchy, chewy, buttery beauties will leave a very sweet taste in your mouth, and it\'s not just the white chocolate... most of the ingredients are Fairtrade, which means that the farmers who produced them have been paid a agreed and stable price for the crops they grow.
Choosing Fairtrade over regular versions makes a massive difference to the lives of developing world farmers and their families!
Two years ago, Tate & Lyle announced its plans to move its† retail cane sugars range to Fairtrade with no resulting price increase to consumers.††In the first year alone, this switch created a return of at least £2 million in Fairtrade premiums†for cane farmers.
Cupcake and cookie queen Lily Vanilli created this recipe for you to try during Fairtrade Fortnight. Enjoy these delicious cookies with a refreshing cup of Fairtrade tea!
280g organic plain flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
170g Unsalted organic butter (at room temperature)
220g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade light brown sugar
100g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade granulated sugar
1 large free-range organic egg (at room temperature)
1 free-range, organic egg yolk (at room temperature)
1/2 tsp Fairtrade vanilla essence
Handful Fairtrade white chocolate chunks
Handful Fairtrade Brazil nuts (chopped)
1/2 tsp grated Fairtrade nutmeg
Zest of one Fairtrade lemon
Preheat oven to 150c
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and heat, stirring continuously until brown bits begin to form at the bottom of the pan (approx 5 mins)
3. Beat the melted butter together with the light brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth
4. Add the egg & egg yolk and beat to incorporate into sugar/butter mixture
5. Set the mixer to a low speed and gradually add the sifted dry ingredients
6. Add lemon zest, chocolate and Brazil nuts to taste
7. Roll dough into 2 inch diameter balls and lay on a lined baking sheet, approx 2 inches apart, bake in preheated oven 15 mins or until brown around the edges and soft in the centre.