Added by Chrissa SKG | Thu 26 Feb 2009 @ 22:08
Greek traditional dessert
1/2 kgr THIN phyllo...
2 cups sugar
1 cup semolina THIN
some margarin or butter
2 vannila powder(those tiny)
2 cups water
1. pour milk into pot bring to begin boil, add semolina slowly and stir with wooden spatula till thickens
add sugar and vanilla while stirring always.
2. take off fire, add the beatten eggs slowly while stirring into cream, and 2-3 spoons of margarin/butter and still stir...
3. leave cream to cool off.
4. meanwhile butter up a deep baking tray, place one by one the phyllo, buttering each one each time...use half of pfyllo...pour onto phyllo the cream....cover one by one while buttering the rest of phyllo...and close the edges like with any kind pf phyllo/puff pastry..cut the top to pieces and spring some water on...
5. bake in pre heated oven at 200C for about half an hour- to turn slightly gold.
6. while baking you prepare sirup towards end of baking
wash and peel of the lemon and put the peels into pot with the sugar and water....boil for 5min then add zest of the lemon...boil for another 5min...take the peel out of pot(throw away)...
take the baking tray out of oven... pour hot sirup onto hot GALAKTOBUREKO....and leave to cool off..ready to serve..
keep in fridge the following days