Added by alashley | Sun 01 Jan 2012 @ 07:06
Born and bred in Australia I felt the need to share something from home. Good news is the recipe should also work with venison or even beef, so if you are having trouble finding kangaroo meat do not threat.
4 kangaroo steaks (I have used rump for this recipe•
Be sure to use a cut suitable for grilling)
125ml Shiraz wine
5 tablespoons of good quality fig jam (I use a brand
called St Dalfour\\\\\\\'s, must have at least 50% fig content)
Large pinch of mixed spice
Salt & pepper
Approximately half a tablespoon of roughly chopped
1. Gently tenderize the steaks using a meat tenderiser
then place them side by side into a shallow dish, try
not to overlap them, season with salt & pepper.
2. Place the shiraz and the fig jam into a mixing bowl
and stir until well combined.
3. Add in the mixed spice and fresh rosemary and stir
4. Pour the marinade over the steaks, making sure they
are well covered, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours
5. When it is time to cook the steaks take them from the
fridge then very lightly grease or spray a large grilling
pan (preferrable ribbed) and place on the hob at
6. Once the pan has come up to temperature place each
steak in gently and cook as follows:
•Rare = around 2 minutes per side
•Medium Rare = around 3 minutes per side
•Medium = around 4 minutes per side
•Medium well around 5 minutes per side
•Well = around 6 minutes per side
#PLEASE NOTE COOKING TIMES MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE THICKNESS/THINNESS OF THE STEAKS. THE STEAKS I HAVE USED IN THIS RECIPE WERE AROUND 2CM IN THICKNESS.