Added by sibelhodge | Thu 21 Mar 2013 @ 15:33
This recipe incorporates three of my favourite things: chocolate, coffee, and nuts, so I had to share it with all the chocaholics out there. The batter will look a bit runny, but don’t panic! That’s what will give it the moist texture. If you’re worrying that this recipe could be a moment on the lips and a lifetime on the hips, then don’t. Chocolate comes from cocoa, which is a bean, and everyone knows vegetables have hardly any calories! So there you go: absolutely healthy then…
• 1 cup of sugar
• ˝ cup of honey
• ˝ cup of olive oil
• 2 cups of chickpea flour (gram flour) or gluten-free plain flour
• ˝ cup of cocoa powder
• ˝ cup hazelnuts – chopped
• ˝ cup of walnuts – chopped
• 1 teaspoon of baking powder
• 1 ˝ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
• ˝ cup of milk
• 4 tablespoons of coffee dissolved in ˝ cup of water
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3 and grease a cake tin.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and add the cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda.
3. Pour in the honey, milk, oil, and coffee. Mix together until smooth and add the nuts, stirring well.
4. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30 – 45 minutes until the cake is springy to the touch. To check if it’s ready, insert a toothpick or skewer into the centre and pull it out. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go!
5. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before turning out from tin.