Added by Guest1001 | Wed 09 Mar 2011 @ 16:22
For the curry
* 4 tbsp vegetable oil
* 4 medium onions, diced
* 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
* 3 x 400 ml cans coconut milk
* 60 g brown sugar
* 2 tsp tamari
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 100 g shiitake mushrooms
* 1/2 large aubergine, or 3 baby aubergines, cut into 5cm chunks
* 1/2 red onion, chopped
* 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 3mm slices
* 30 g bamboo shoots
* 1/2 courgette, sliced lengthways
* medium bunch coriander, leaves chopped
* 30 g bean sprouts
1. For the paste: cut the dry ends off the lemongrass, remove the outer layers and roughly chop the soft inner leaves. Blend all the paste ingredients in a food processor. Set aside.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan. Add the onions and brown on a low heat for 3 minutes, then throw in the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Lower the heat and add the curry paste to the pan. Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring continuously Ė you may need to add a little water if the curry sauce starts to thicken. At this point all the ingredients should start to release a bouquet of lovely aromas.
3. Add the coconut milk, turn up the heat and bring it to the boil. Sprinkle in the brown sugar and salt to taste, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30
4. Put a colander over a large bowl and carefully sieve the curry sauce into it. Add the tamari to the sauce and stir in.
5. Put a wok over a high ehat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, then throw in the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the aubergine and, after 2-3 minutes, the red onion. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the butternut and bamboo shoots and stir fry everything for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the curry sauce to the wok, cover and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but not too soft Ė you want to keep as much of the crunch as possible.
7. When you are almost ready to serve, add the courgettes and cook for 2 minutes. Then stir in some chopped coriander and bean sprouts.
provided by http://www.infideas.com infideas