Added by Mango Ginger | Wed 25 Apr 2012 @ 07:14
The latest Asian Fusion recipe from Mango Ginger: www.mango-ginger.blogspot.com This dish was created for a friend who is on a special diet that rules out yeast, dairy and sugar. Each ingredient has been chosen because of its nutritional or medicinal properties. Here in Thailand people are big believers in the power of herbs not only to flavour but to heel. I did my research and have detailed below all the good stuff that this dish can do for the body. The salad is packed with flavour from all those herbs and spices and itís full of crunch from the nuts and raw veg. It really doesnít feel like health food. Time: 40 mins Rating: Easy, just a bit of patience needed for the chopping Serves: 2
2-4 mackerel fillets (depending on their size)
1 lemongrass stalk
20g mint leaves (a large handful)
20g coriander leaves (a large handful)
20g roasted almonds (salted, roasted, skin still on)
40g green beans
40g sugar snap peas
1 yellow pepper
Handful lettuce leaves
For the dressing/marinade:
2cm knob ginger
Juice 1 Ĺ limes (replace with 1 lemon juice if you prefer)
1 red chilli
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp olive oil (or an alternative unrefined vegetable oil)
Ĺ tsp honey
Generous pinch salt and course black pepper
1. First prepare the dressing/marinade. Chop or mince the ginger and chilli as finely as possible. I didnít deseed the chilli but made sure the seeds were very finely chopped. If you donít want too much fire, discard the seeds. Combine with the other dressing ingredients and mix well.
2. Then prepare the mackerel: make a few shallow diagonal slits on the skin side. This will allow the fish to absorb the flavour of the marinade and stop it from curling during cooking. Lay the fish in a small dish and cover with 2 tbsp of the marinade, coating all over. Cover and leave in the fish for about half an hour Ė you have a lot of chopping to do in the meantime!
3. While the fish is marinating prepare your salad ingredients. Slice the lemongrass stick horizontally as thinly as possible Ė take your time, large chunks wonít be pleasant. Cut the green beans and sugar snap peas horizontally about 5mm in thickness. Cut the courgette into quarters lengthways and slice as thinly as possible horizontally. Finely dice the yellow pepper. Coarsely chop the almonds. Coarsely chop or tear the mint and coriander leaves.
4. Combine all of these ingredients in a bowl and pour the remaining dressing over the top. Mix well.
5. When the mackerel fillets have marinated, brush a baking tray with a little olive oil and place the fillets on top, skin-sides facing upwards. Place under a hot grill and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the skin is browned and the flesh is cooked through.
6. Lay some lettuce leaves out on a plate. Spoon the salad on top and then carefully place the mackerel fillets on top.
7. Sit back, eat, and feel smug for producing such a beautiful, colourful, tasty and healthy plate of food.